Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Now we honour the Necronomicon!


Note: My computer is a bee-yotch. It's taken me three days to get this post done and posted -- at least, I HOPE it posts properly, or I'm gonna cry. Point being, the weekend I'm talking about was the weekend of October 24-25th, not *this* past weekend...oy. I have a number of posts that still need to be completed, but it's taking me forever to get them done so I can post them. I had intended to embed a video for the Splatter Zone, but the link will have to do, since I'm having issues just getting a picture posted here. Please bear with me during the insanity.

This past weekend was my birthday (no, I won't tell you which one) so I decided to treat myself, despite being broker than I have been in a very, very long time. I've been a big fan of Army of Darkness (sorry, can't bring myself to watch the first two Evil Deads) for years, and Bruce "The Chin" Campbell is a freaking god. So when I heard about a year ago that there was a musical based on the Evil Dead movies, my little fangirl heart flipped in ecstasy! The Bruce singing while tearing zombies and demons a new cornhole?? I'm so there! :D Okay, so Campbell isn't actually in it, but the actors they get to perform these roles are all troopers, lemme tellya!

I'd been searching online for about two months to see if it was or ever would be coming to BC and was heartsick to discover that it had not and there didn't appear to be any plans for it. "sniff"...

However...

Ask and ye shall receive! Just as I had given up hope, the heavens heard my worthless prayers and sent the touring company of Evil Dead: the Musical to Vancouver! WOOT! I was probably one of the first hundred to buy tickets. :) Despite that, I *still* didn't get seats in the Splatter Zone, more's the pity... What's that? You don't know what the Splatter Zone is? Oh, my dear friends, allow me to enlighten you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_yR-eouls

Now, this example is a bit extreme...the show I saw didn't have an extra actually standing on stage throwing blood everywhere. However, the demons, after getting slashed apart by Ash, *did* make their way into the first three rows and tossed bags of blood all over the audience. "sigh"...it coulda been me... Ah, well, I WAS close enough that, during the finale, I got two teeny little droplets on my forehead, which totally made me squee like the fangirl I am. Unfortunately, I had to eventually wash them off, so it was a bittersweet moment, really...

Still, HELL YEAH!! Goddamn, was that show awesome! Don't let the name of it put you off, it's not only played for hilarious laughs, they completely turn the "gore" effects on their head. Not for one second can you take this play seriously, no matter how hard you try. There are only six people in the cast, which means everyone has to do at least double-duty, sometimes triple-duty. This is no more apparent than in the final scene of the play (and I'm not spoiling anything here...if you've watched Army of Darkness, you'll know how it ends), when the stage is slick with fake blood, the actors are totally covered in it and their costumes and makeup are completely destroyed. The next scene takes place with Ash telling shoppers at S-Mart the story...and the actors haven't even attempted to clean themselves up. Seriously, they're acting as completely different characters and yet still covered in gore, with the powder from their masks still sticking to their faces, pretending that nothing is out of the ordinary! If that doesn't convince you that their tongues are permanently placed in their cheeks, nothing will! XD

After that, anything that the big city could offer was kind of a letdown, even though I did have an awesome time wandering all over it the next day. I even managed to pick up a piece for my Halloween costume, so that rocked pretty hard in and of itself. Still, October has been an extremely expensive month, so I'm broker than broken broke things...whatever... Looks like my need for a new 'puter is going to have to go on the back burner for even longer than I'd originally expected. Hmmm...maybe I can try a bake sale or something...think anyone would be interested in Necronomicookies?


No comments:

Post a Comment